Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Elevating and Bean-town

Have you ever been in with a group where the awkwardness is like there being a pink elephant in a room but no one wants to admit it? This is where I am right know with a ministry that I am involved with for college and post college peers. We have about 15 people that come to our event and have a five member band (with live drums... i.e. it's loud), the room is made for about 50 to 60 people, we have a video screen to be used for pro presenter (glorified mac version of power point), and I or someone gets up and teaches. It feels really awkward too me!!! However, we had a meeting this past Tuesday about the future of this ministry and a majority of the people say they don't think it's awkward!?! I don't get it! I suppose that maybe because I am constantly thinking about the vision and direction of this ministry that I can see the pink elephant. On the other hand, maybe I am missing the fact that people are being minister to in way the need. So i guess their needs are being met.?.
My thoughts are to move the ministry into a homier group to build community. I see that happening by changing the philosophy of the ministry to simple worship, with teaching with questions. I pray that this is a vision and not just a plan. Anyway that's been something stressful the past couple of weeks.

ON TO BEAN TOWN!!!

I am in Boston, Mass. hanging out with Drew Thompson! Long time friend and mentor! I have to motives for coming up here! One to hanging out with my bro and two to look at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary! Killing two birds with one stone it also give me the chance to bounce these ministry ideas off of someone who was in my shoes just a year ago!

As I am being picked up from the Air Port Drew says to me, "Hey, hope you didn't have a big lunch because you have a date tonight!" Thinking he was kidding, i thought nothing of it. Little to my dismay, he was not kidding! However, it was not a real date. (The real date is on Friday). This date was more of getting to hangout with other students (this other student just happened to be a young lass from Northern Ireland. The night was tons of fun. Most fun I have had in a long time (it competed with being beaten in Guitar Hero two billion times). I guess you could say Drew is really trying to get me to come to school here. He's pulling out the big guns!
Tomorrow is going to consist of checking out classes and getting ready for the big question on when do I come to seminary and getting ready for my date on Friday (the girl is in one of the class i am going to check out!)!

Insight of the day:
Foreign girls are really cool! Now I understand why girls love guys with accents! Theology discussions are amazing! I might have to say something about the great conversion I had with Drew, Mandy, and the Northern Irish lass.

2 comments:

Jenny Fleming said...

So that's where you've been. Wow, you're thinking of going to school in Boston? I hope you like being cold...

Katie B said...

You used lots of exclamation points in this post. (!) You never were too good a Guitar Hero, sorry to break it to you lefty. Good luck on your date!!!